Cantoro’s Italian Market – A Great Name In Cheese History
Our focus is imported and domestic cheeses that are hard-to-find, yet the most sought after in the world. We hand-choose the finest cheeses from every region in Italy – and other important cheese countries – to create the most essential collection in southeast Michigan.
Our knowledgeable staff lead by department manager Colleen Elliott, lovingly known by customers as “the cheese lady,” provides both intricate and simple recipes and is happy to guide guests through our delicious world of cheese.
From the curing room in our lower level where our top cheeses are on display as they quietly age, to the spacious 400-variety cheese department upstairs in the market, one must experience it with their own eyes, and palate, to believe it.
Whether the cheeses you seek are for a specific recipe; to pair with the perfect wine; include on one of your individualized cheese boards to impress at a dinner party; or serve on crusty bread at a family picnic, we will ensure you have the finest selection for your tastebuds, and budget.
During our frequent visits to Italy’s top producers, only the farmers and producers wholly committed to the noble art of formaggio-making garner the attention of Cantoro owners Michael and John Fallone. That nobility is something the brothers learned from their father Mario decades earlier when he dreamt of building the best cheese shop outside of Europe.
We have grown from a market with a fine Italian cheese department to one with incredible world-cheeses that include:
- The sharpest Parmigiano Reggiano from Parma, Italy
- Perfect soft, ripened, sea salty Brie de Meaux from France
- Rare, age-old English Farmhouse Cheddar from Western England
- Buttery, nutty, fruity Gruyère from Switzerland
- Full and fruity Mahon from the island of Minorca off the Mediterranean coast of Spain
- Perfect to grate on top of pasta, the salty and strong Caciocavallo from Sicily.
- The most elite buffalo mozzarella produced in Campania, known as white gold or “pearl of the table”
- Real Italian-made fresh Ricotta ….and, even a mozzarella that is now made right at Cantoro!
And that’s just the beginning… our fabulous world of cheese may be one of most delightful you may ever experience.