Goat Cheese Spread Recipe
and featured cheeses at Cantoro Italian Market
August is National Goat Cheese Month and Cantoro Italian Market is celebrating by highlighting some of the best recipes and products in-store. Goat Cheese, also known as Chèvre, is made with, you guessed it, goat’s milk.
When enjoying goat cheese, there are two options: eating it freshly made or allowing it to age. The longer the cheese ages, generally, the stronger the flavor becomes.
A good way to figure out how long it’s been aged is to look at the color of the rind. The longer the goat cheese has been aged, the darker the rind will be. If you like your goat cheese mild, make sure to grab one that has a white rind – it will have a light and fresh taste.
Colleen Elliott, our own “Cheese Lady,” suggests that a great way to try new cheeses or experience a favorite is by experimenting with a new recipe, such as the one below. The Cantoro Honey and Pomegranate Goat Spread will blow away guests at your next get-together.
Cantoro Honey and Pomegranate Goat Spread Recipe
1 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch crostini
2 tablespoons olive oil
5 ounces goat cheese, softened
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup pomegranate arils, plus more for garnish
Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat over to 350-degrees Fahrenheit
- Brush baguette slices with olive oil. Season to taste with salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly brown and crisp
- Add goat cheese and cream cheese to a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on high until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add in honey, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Whip another 30 seconds. If adding pomegranates to the mixture, gently fold in.
- Transfer to serving container, sprinkle with pomegranate arils and drizzle with honey
- Serve with crostini
Try some of our featured goat cheeses in our cheese department specially picked by Elliott, the “Cheese Lady.”
Featured Goat Cheeses at Cantoro
Rosewood Raw Milk Goat Cheddar
(Ann Arbor, Mi)
Laura Chenel 5.4 oz. Goat Logs
Featuring Summer Fig, Honey and Truffle
Cantoro Honey and Pomegranate Goat Spread
(Canotoro Italian Market Special)