(WXYZ) – Summer is winding down and for those with gardens, you may find yourself with more tomatoes than you know what to do with.
One way to enjoy them for months – is by canning them.
Anthony Calabrese of Cantoro Italian Market stopped by the WXYZ studios to share the steps for canning as well as a recipe for a delicious Sunday sauce.
- Canning Steps (we recommend using a pressure canner for this process)
- Core and score canning tomatoes (20-22 pounds of raw tomatoes will yield about 7-quart-sized mason jars)
- Blanch and shock the tomatoes
- Take the skin off, seeds out and crush the tomatoes
- Stew the tomatoes to preference
- Sterilize jars, new unused lids and rings
- Can (shelf-safe for at least one year)
- Tomato Sauce recipe
- Based on 1 quart mason jar
- Add olive oil, garlic and chili flakes to a pot. Turn to medium heat and cook until the garlic is golden brown
- Add diced onion and cook until it’s translucent and mush
- Add tomatoes and simmer to desired consistency
- Add basil last
This was posted here by WXYZ TV.